A weld test coupon is a small piece of metal used to test a welder’s proficiency in various welding procedures. Weld coupons are commonly utilized for applications such as welder qualifications, training, practicing difficult joints, and more. Here, we will dive into the specifics of weld coupons and their different applications, as well as the purpose of welder qualification tests.
What Is a Weld Coupon?
Welding is critical to various industrial tasks; therefore, it’s important for welders to demonstrate their proficiency to ensure they can deliver quality results. Many welding certifications require welders to showcase their skill level by passing a welding coupon test according to the required standards and codes.
Welding coupons are small pieces of metal, typically in plate or pipe form, used to evaluate a welder’s skill through destructive testing, visual inspection, and other methods. This allows welding professionals to demonstrate and determine another welder’s ability to deposit a high-quality weld joint.
Other Applications of Weld Coupons
Weld coupon testing is ideal for various applications, including:
- Welder Qualification/Certification. Weld coupons can be used for welding qualification tests, which determine whether a person or machine can produce a quality weld that is up to code.
- Welder Training. Weld coupons can be used to demonstrate proper welding techniques and assess a trainee’s skills.
- Welding Procedure Qualification. Welders must be able to meet specific inspection criteria to become qualified for certain welding procedures. Weld test coupons can be used for this qualification process.
- Mock Fit-up/Practice Joints. Professional welders and trainees can use weld coupons to develop mock-ups and practice complex joints.
- Procedure Qualification Record (PQR) Materials. A PQR documents what happened during weld coupon testing as well as the result of the test.
What Is the Welder Qualification Test?
A welding qualification test is a hands-on skills test conducted by a certified welding inspector to determine the quality of a welder or machine’s welds based on the code or procedure required by the industry standard, job site, or company. Specifically, a welding qualification test demonstrates a welder’s ability to deposit a quality weld when following a qualified welding procedure. As such, welders are typically provided with a Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) to follow while performing the test.
If a welder can demonstrate their ability to perform a weld that requires a high skill level, they will be deemed competent to perform welding procedures that are easier than what was demonstrated during the qualification test.
Welder qualification tests can take various forms. The reasons for this include:
- Each welding process requires different skill sets to perform.
- Different materials present their own difficulties or issues when welding and therefore require different skills.
- Different-sized workpieces require specific skills to account for varying diameters and thicknesses.
- Welding different-shaped materials, like plates and pipes, require different skills.
- Each welding code has its own unique requirements.
Weld Coupons From AAA Metals
Welding coupons play a critical role in evaluating a person or machine’s ability to accurately carry out certain welding procedures and create high-quality joints. At AAA Metals, we can manufacture weld test coupons in high quantities for use in various applications, including qualification tests, recalibrating robotic welders, training/practice, and more. Using grinders, we can create weld coupons with specific angles that can be used to practice and perform welding tests at difficult angles.
For more information about our weld coupon capabilities, contact AAA Metals or request a quote today. You can learn more by browsing our precision waterjet cutting, precision sawing, and precision laser cutting services.