Stainless steel sheet metal is one of the more adaptable fabrication materials available on the market, and one that’s in high demand. As a sheet metal distributor, AAA Metals Company Inc. supplies durable, high-quality stainless steel sheet along with competitive pricing and prompt delivery to benefit our clients in numerous industries.
What Is Stainless Steel Sheet?
Stainless steel is a highly versatile and durable steel alloy. All stainless steel varieties will have a composition containing a minimum of 10.5% chromium. The remainder can be made up of varying amounts of carbon, nickel, titanium, manganese, molybdenum, and more. The specific amounts of these elements help determine the particular strengths and functionalities of stainless steel sheeting to fit specific applications. For example, the chromium content is what gives the metal its anti-corrosion and anti-staining properties.
Regardless of its composition, stainless steel sheeting is a relatively affordable and formable metal, with availability in numerous series types and grades. The 300 series of austenitic stainless steel, with 304 SS sheet being particularly popular, is widely used for its high corrosion resistance, ductility, and formability with welding. The 200 series, martensitic, ferritic, and duplex stainless steel sheets are also available, though typically more susceptible to corrosion.
Advantages of Stainless Steel Sheet
Stainless steel sheet is an ideal option for numerous industries due to its ease of use, durability, and variety. Specifically, its advantages include:
- Affordability. Stainless steel sheet is relatively inexpensive, with 304 stainless steel being particularly economical.
- Formability. This alloy’s sheeting is typically easy to fabricate, form, and weld. The 300 series in particular is also quite flexible.
- Maintenance. Stainless steel sheet is a simple surface to clean.
- Nonmagnetic. While some stainless steel varieties can be magnetic, austenitic stainless steels are not.
- Pleasing aesthetics. Stainless steel sheeting possesses a sleek and shiny appearance.
- Resistance capabilities. Durability is one of the key advantages to this material. Stainless steel sheet is highly resistant to corrosion, chlorides, oxidation, rust, stains, high temperatures, pitting, and overall wear.
- Strength. In addition to its durability, stainless steel sheet also has superior weight-bearing capabilities with a high ratio of strength to weight.
- Versatility. Manufacturers can generate this steel alloy with compositions tailored to give the sheeting particular characteristics. Sheeting composed of stainless steel comes in a variety of thickness options, up to a quarter of an inch before it becomes classified as steel plate. You can also have stainless steel sheeting cut to size, making it easier to find sheeting that fits your application.
Applications of Stainless Steel Sheet
A wide array of industries can utilize sheets of stainless steel because of the material’s versatile characteristics, ranging from heavy industry to electronics. Stainless steel sheeting is highly resistant to oxidation, corrosion, and abrasion, and has good strength. It is also easy to clean and can have anti-microbial properties. Equipment from storage tanks and chemical or pressurized containers to heat exchangers and furnace components make use of this durable steel alloy, with applications throughout the following industries:
- Automotive and transportation
- Electronics and appliances
- Food and beverage
- Manufacturing and textiles
Stainless Steel Sheet from AAA Metals
The advantages of stainless steel make it a highly sought-after material for endless application options. Since 1978, AAA Metals has supplied not only high-quality stainless steel, but also titanium, nickel alloys, and even hard-to-find materials. We can distribute metals in raw form, or we have in-house capabilities to provide laser and waterjet cutting, precision sawing, shearing, polishing, and finishing.
For stainless steel, AAA Metals offers multiple grades, including:
In addition to metal sheets, our company also supplies metal bars, discs, forgings, plates, pipes, tubing, and rings for orders of any size. To learn more about our stainless steel sheeting and how our global distribution network can benefit your business, contact us today or request a quote for your application.